According to a Nielsen’s article on Indian markets in the first half of 2019, consumer confidence not only increased from the first quarter to the second quarter but consumers have also placed more faith in store brand products; and in different channels of FMCG sales like chemist shops. This means that manufacturers of FMCGs and Retail outlets that sell FMCGs; both named brands and/or store brands, need to work on, simultaneously, entertaining, educating, and localising content; and deliver them to where the consumer lives and shops.
Nielsen published another article that underlines the factors that influence the sales of FMCGs in various retail outlets. They mostly revolve around ideas of reliability and visibility of brands and products on shelves. However, not limited to that both producers and retail outlets, when targeting local/specific markets, must consider the advantages of OOH; both, by itself and in a mix media strategy. OOH plays much role in aiding, improving retention, recall, and sales according to such publications.
- Firstly it is necessary that the consumer is aware of the product. This is achieved not only at a broad level throughout the market through television or print advertisements, wherein, the broader message is communicated but must be reinforced at the local level too.
- Furthering that, OOH advertising can do much to raise awareness regarding the availability of the brand/product in specific stores that consumers prefer to frequent. While TV and Print may take care of communicating the message, and education, OOH advertisements that are creative, and informative, provide a ground presence; an immediate voice.
- As the study suggests, once the consumers are aware of the brand and its availability, it is up to the brand to ensure that the product is not only sufficiently stocked but visible in the said retail stores. The product advertised must be easily available.
- The combination of making products available and the consumer aware at the ground level seems the most basic criteria a manufacturer/distributor will have to fulfil to make an impact when entering a new market/region or when entering a new brand/product/packaging in the market. OOH provides a wide array of options in this regard. As always strategy of how communicate the message becomes key.
- Lastly, OOH can serve as a tool for cross platform communication with QR codes, promotional codes, and twitter handles bringing the message in varied forms as available on different platforms to a wider audience.
The Fast-moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) market is one of the largest & most lucrative entities in the world, while it also features some of the most prominent global brands. Brands in this market are also increasingly likely to advertise their products outdoor, as per the latest figures, the FMCG brands increased their mobile spend by 28% during the same 12-month period. Benefits of OOH Media for FMCG Brands:
- Although 84% of customer prefer to browse products online in the digital age, an impressive 53% continue to make their final purchasing decisions while shopping & on the move.
- The OOH media is ideal for this purpose: Estimated that 98% of consumers interact with at least one billboard or OOH ad each week, optimising exposure for FMCG brands within the TG.
- Ads placed at the roadside or within close proximity to stores are also extremely effective, as they help advertisers in influencing their customers’ purchasing decisions in real-time.
- Helps FMCG advertisers to achieve greater levels of brand recognition over time & this can make the difference between successful & failed campaigns.
- The relationship that exists between OOH media & digital interactions with marketing channels such as billboards renowned for their ability to drive assisted conversions.
- Customers engaging with OOH media are considered to be 17% more likely to interact with a brand through their mobile which is ideal for FMCG companies to advertise new products.
- In 2019, FMCG brands increased their mobile spending considerably & by integrating this closely with OOH media they can achieve a far greater ROI.
- Large format billboards are also nonintrusive & blend seamlessly into the natural environments, while customers cannot remove these ads or block them from the site.
What FMCG need to look out in OOH?
Importance of Location: If your primary reason for using OOH media is to drive traffic in-store, the location of your ads remains the single most important factors.
Roadside: Roadside advertising is particularly well-suited to this objective, particularly when you target busy commuter locations with large, 48 or 96-sheet billboards.
Purchasing decisions: Targeting retail parks & ad spaces close to your store can also yield excellent results. Customers are far more likely to make impulsive purchasing decisions while on the move & shopping.
Create Consistent & Eye-catching Brand: Earlier in the post, we talked about the importance of driving brand recognition through integrated and holistic marketing campaigns.
Avoid over promotions: OOH media is a non-intrusive marketing medium that boasts naturally high levels of engagement, it seems a shame to spoil this with overly promotional messaging.
Why Mplan Media?
We are specialists offering outdoor advertising services to help you choose the right areas to advertise based on the demographics of your TG. Help you book strategically positioned ad spaces for OOH advertising that make it easier to capture the attention of your audience & deliver the brand message precisely. We help you achieve maximum ROI, whatever may be your budget or the type of ads or spends. We make it possible for you to reach the target groups to even those who have low exposure to OOH advertising. By suggesting perfect placements, we help you exercise that last window of influence on your consumers, just when they are ready to shop.